Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Lafleur
      Keymaster

If you are in a relationship, and either you or your partner have FA, what are some successes and trials you deal with?

Kailey Newcity
      Participant

My boyfriend & I dated for almost two years before my symptoms were severe enough to start asking questions. I’ve literally always just thought I was a clutz. I’ve been diagnosed for about 3 years now & he is literally the only person I feel 100% safe with. He can tell when I’m fatigued or getting frustrated. I know I am very lucky to have someone who has stuck around. I won’t lie though, I feel guilty sometimes. I didn’t ask for this but either did he. He says he’s okay with not having kids & anticipating the future & me getting “worse” but I sometimes feel like I’m holding him back. Regardless, he’s my best friend. I hope he never gets scared away! 😂

Clester
      Participant

Kailey
      My wife was diagnosed when she was 12. She has two healthy girls . unless you have other reasons don’t let fa give you reason not to have kids.

Clester
      Participant

Some trials I’ve been going through are too many to mention . most of which revolve around non supportive family. I have lost everything trying to be there for my wife . and I do mean everything….friends ,family, business, retirement, most recently had a small stroke and hernia so my health is included, so much stress and absolutely no help from anyone. I truly love my wife but I’m afraid this will kill me and leave her with no one.

Matt Lafleur
        Keymaster

Hang in there man. As another FAer, thank you for all the support you’ve given to your wife. We are glad there are people like you out there.

Kailey Newcity
      Participant

@toolman I don’t think I’d be able to handle pregnancy or carrying a newborn around or all the things babies require. I’ve thought a lot about it

Matt Lafleur
        Keymaster

My sister has FA and she has two kids. I don’t know how she does it. I can barely take care of myself. I think she is some kind of superhero.

Clester
      Participant

My wife did it and she was in a wheelchair when she had the second one. If you have someone to help which it sounds like you do you have as good a chance of raising good kids just as anyone else. Actually you probably will do a considerably better job than most people …because of the fa. You will have a much better handle on what is important in life , unlike most people do. I have a cousin who has cp and pku and raised 4 kids . it will be a struggle . my wife’s kids are grown and away to college . don’t count yourself short.

Clester
      Participant

Like anyrthing else in life you just simply have to WANT it and do what it takes.
      Me personally am tired of people saying I can’t. YES you can .
      I used to teach martial arts and had an older gentleman come in after a severe stroke that left him barely able to walk, talk, loss of short term memory or use his left arm. He wanted it and he did it . you can too!!!!! Don’t count yourself short. You will lose an awsome experience .

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.