Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Assistive Device Usage How many of you use more than one assistive device?

• How many of you use more than one assistive device?

Posted by Christina Cordaro on June 7, 2022 at 10:00 am

People living with a disability have difficulty performing activities of daily living independently or even with assistance.

Throughout the past few years, I found that I need to use a variety of assistive devices for safety reasons. For example, my main assistive device is a rollator. I feel it is easier to maneuver when I am focusing on my walking. For long distances, I use a scooter or wheelchair to help conserve energy.

Do you use different mobility devices depending on the context? How does each device help you?

Christina Cordaro replied 11 months, 1 week ago 7 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Karina Jeronimides

June 7, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Hi Christina,

Yes, I used to until I started using an electric scooter full time.  And when that happens, it’s essential to have a spare and extra battery chargers.  Because stuff gets damaged and repairing them can take months.  So skip the stress I underwent living alone, working and raising two kids as a single mom!!

Best,

Karina

• Christina Cordaro

June 12, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Having spare/extra batteries is a great idea! I’m always afarid of my power running low or out on me haha!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 9, 2022 at 5:58 am

Thanks for this interesting information!

• CG-KC

June 9, 2022 at 4:24 pm

My husband has used a power wheelchair for mobility for almost 20 years. He has late onset which progresses very slowly.
    He requires an elevated toilet seat, gait belt, and grab bars to transfer. He uses a shower chair that reclines for bathing. He also requires bilateral bed rails and a trapeze bar for bed mobility.
    We have had many varied experiences with equipment, remodeling and caregiving.

• Christina Cordaro

June 12, 2022 at 3:39 pm

Thank you for sharing your husband’s experiences! I’m glad you found wmany variations of works best for him!

• Terence O'Hanlon

June 10, 2022 at 3:26 am

Depending on how you categorise them, it could be said that I use countless assistive devices!

I use a wheelchair in the house, a motorised scooter when out on my own, a manual wheelchair with lever drives when out with someone. I have a recumbent trike for self-powered exercise.

Inside my home I have lots of grabrails to help with transfers. They’re assistive devices.

My shower chair could be classed as an assistive device. Even the lanyard I use to hang my phone around my neck could. I could go on and on!…

• Christina Cordaro

June 12, 2022 at 3:42 pm

I definitely could use the lanyard around my neck to hold my phone because I always find myself dropping my phone out of my control. Thanks for the tip!

• Katie Griffith

September 19, 2022 at 8:58 pm

My son does based on the situation. On a regular day he uses a light-weight walker, but when we travel, he uses a more sturdy rollator. If we go to a ball game or other day trip with a long distance walk, we will take his manual wheelchair.

• Christina Cordaro

September 20, 2022 at 7:37 am

I am glad to hear that Noah has found to be the best fit depending on the situation!

• Jet Cromwell

September 20, 2022 at 7:24 pm

I hope it isn’t strange replying to an older post.
    I use a basic rollator with orthotics (AAFO type) for most days. In smaller spaces like my house, I’m usually comfortable with a cane or furniture surfing, though if I’m honest a cane doesn’t usually help much. I have a powered scooter but don’t currently use it much.
    Aside from that kind of stuff, I always use a shower stool and grab rails wherever I can.

• Christina Cordaro

September 22, 2022 at 3:11 pm

Hi Jet! It’s not strange at all to respond to an older post. We actually encourage it 😊

Thank you for sharing your experiences on what works best for you!

• Katie Griffith

September 28, 2022 at 6:50 am

Thanks for sharing, Jet!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    May 19, 2023 at 5:53 am

Thanks!