Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Assistive Device Usage When did you transition to a wheelchair full time?

• When did you transition to a wheelchair full time?

Posted by Frankie Perazzola on September 28, 2020 at 11:57 am

One of the biggest decisions we have to make as a person with FA is when to use a wheelchair full time.

Most of us are extremely stubborn (hi, there) and try to hold off as long as possible. Sometimes overlooking physical and mental safety.

For those of you who are full-time wheelchair users, when did you know? What was the indicator that you needed to be in a chair throughout the day?

Grant Lile replied 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Becky cook

September 29, 2020 at 10:49 am

diagnosed at 22 had 2 kids in 2008 and 2012 only started using chair after little girl was out of her buggy as i found pushing it good for me, in the end it was easier and safer for everyone with me in the chair,i still refuse to use it in the house , i found if i went shopping i could get more done and go to look at far more, however most heart breaking thing ever is having to make the decision and getting your head around it and deal with the “petty looks”.good luck

• Tina-D

September 30, 2020 at 9:16 am

I sound like Becky but my kids were born in 1997 and 2000. I went from pushing a stroller to a rollator. In 2008 (age 39) I started using an electric scooter out of the house. I started using a wheelchair in the house in 2012 (age 43) occasionally. I went full time wheelchair in 2014. My imbalance spurred each change.

• Grant Lile

October 5, 2020 at 2:39 pm

I was only diagnosed a few months ago at the age of 40. I begun having issues around 15/16 years old and tried everything as my issues progressed not go full time using a Wheelchair. I went from using a walking stick to crutches to a 3-wheel walker, and then finally at around the age of 25 I transitioned to using a Wheelchair full time. It was difficult a choice at the time but it did make sense. It was safer for me living independently, going to university, grocery shopping…