• Wheelchair Preference

Posted by Christina Cordaro on January 11, 2021 at 8:05 am

For wheelchair users, do you prefer to use a manual wheelchair or an electric wheelchair? Do you use one over the other for certain benefits?

For me, I divide my time eith using a walker and wheelchair because of my fatigue. I prefer a manual wheelchair because I don’t use it regularly so it’s easier for someone to push me and because I can’t maneuver it myself well. I can’t seem to push myself in a straight line!

katie replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Grant Lile

January 13, 2021 at 1:23 pm

My preference is a manual wheelchair. I find it easier to get in position for transfers. And it makes for a good work out on my arms.

• katie

January 19, 2021 at 2:48 pm

i’ve had a rigid ki tsunami for nearly ten years. (i have a forward brand seat cushion and another brand for the back cushion.) the last two chairs built for me had to be sent back. in order to do transfers i have to be able to get the chair close to the couch, for example, and folding chairs have an angle on leg rests that makes this impossible. it took nearly a year sales process with each chair only to find myself back at the beginning. do others find the sales people at these companies to be uninformed in helping build the right chair?