• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 3, 2020 at 7:36 pm

It is your choice to make, but I can tell you how it worked for me.

I used a plain folding walker for close to ten years, starting at 22. When my stability declined even more, I was determined to make the walker remain my only tool. I would be so exausted every evening and would often get on my bed at night and cry. If I had to get back up to go to the bathroom, I reluctantly would.

I wish I would have used a wheelchair long before I did. Because of my pride, I didn’t see it would be better to preserve those abilities by using parallel bars, using a stander, swimming etc. It would have saved me so much heartache. It was never really a matter of me choosing it; I needed it.

I will say that I regret it and wish I started when I still had a choice.

• frankie-p

August 3, 2020 at 8:14 pm

Do you think you are falling because your legs are fatigued and tired? Or is it because the walker itself is unstable and goes from side to side?

• christina-cordaro

August 4, 2020 at 8:35 am

@davidr thank you for being so honest about your personal experiences. It sounds like we are going through the same challenges. I too am stubborn and let my pride get in the way. But it’s important to remember that mental health is just as important as physical health and to really take care of yourself.

• christina-cordaro

August 4, 2020 at 8:37 am

@frankie-perazzola definitely because my legs are fatigued and tired. I feel like they “give out” and I just lose the strength to keep walking.