• brittany-waters

January 27, 2019 at 11:45 am

I met my husband about a year after I was diagnosed. I made sure he knew what he was signing up for before we started dating. We’ve been together for over 8 years now and it’s still difficult to not feel like a burden. As my FA progresses, I feel less and less like a partner who is sharing the weight.

• matt-lafleur

January 27, 2019 at 1:21 pm

@britt, thank you for sharing. I know it’s a sensitive subject. It’s easy for us FAers to feel like a burden, but I bet that if the situation were reversed – and your husband were diagnosed with FA instead of you – you would gladly do what you could for him, and not think of him as a burden. You are so much more than a list of excessive problems. Don’t forget that.

• claudia-mairesse

February 3, 2019 at 11:27 am

My husband was diagnosed when he was 18 and now he is 40. We just got married a week ago and I don’t see his disability for me he is perfect and I love him so much.I try to help him as much as I can but we share the same opinion of me not being his caregiver and being his wife.He has a lot of challenges every minute of the day but he still goes to the gym and exercise. He is very optimistic and active. He has been my inspiration…

• matt-lafleur

February 3, 2019 at 11:34 am

Claudia, I am glad there are people like you out there. Thank you for giving us single guys with FA hope.

• daniel

March 25, 2019 at 12:39 pm

My wife Starla and I were married in 2014. We met thru an FA site on Facebook. I knew of FA thru a friend that had it and was with her thru the end at the hospital when she died at 29. I fell in love with Starla and relocated from WA to Florida to be with her. Ive been a CNA practically all my life so taking care of her was really no big deal. A person doesnt choose FA and people shouldnt be focusing on your wheelchair anyway. Unfortunately Starla went to be with the Lord feb 26 2019 at 1pm. I lost my best friend to this horrible disease that no one deserves but I will keep advocating for others with it. The point of my story is dont loose hope. There is nothing wrong with a person with FA and it is my ex that those with FA often have the strongest faith and are most appreciative of the little things in life…the things that matter. Never give up. May God bless all of u

• matt-lafleur

March 25, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Thank you for sharing your story, Daniel. It really touched me and I think it will touch a lot of others.
      Thank you for your heart.

• naeem

April 19, 2019 at 12:34 pm

The ataxic man can having kids ?????

• felicia

June 12, 2019 at 9:49 am

Im 36 years old i have a 12 years old son and been with my husband seens i was 15. I lived in New York but now have 11 years leaving in the Dominican Republic. We moved when my son turned 7 months old. My husband is 38 year’s old and he is great. I have two older sisters that also have FA, so i learned i had FA before i had any symptoms. I started having symptoms after I gave birth to my son when i was 24. But my husband has stick by me. He only gets frustrated with me when i fall because he can’t do anything about it. Having a carrying partner makes everything so much easier.

• matt-lafleur

June 12, 2019 at 10:05 am

That is so encouraging to hear! If I can ask, did FA make it more difficult than normal to give birth to your son?

• felicia

June 13, 2019 at 7:16 am

I was in early stage of FA so i didn’t notice or my doctor’s any complications. And both my sisters that have FA had normal child birth too so i don’t think it’s more difficult. The only thing i notice when my sister was giving birth to her second daughter was that her legs did shake a lot.

• matt-lafleur

June 13, 2019 at 9:17 am

That is interesting- so it sounds like FA didn’t really affect the childbirth process?

• clester

August 19, 2019 at 10:16 am

Really sucks. We call each other husband and wife but was never able to actually get married because I couldn’t afford insurance etc. Now that I thought since I’ve lost everything that we could actually get married but no. She still would lose her medical and income. Which is what we have been living on. Lose everything I had so I could be there for her and I wanted to do this one thing for her and government rears it’s disgusting ugly head every time.

• brian-rhodes

October 26, 2019 at 12:11 am

I was married and had one kid before being diagnosed. I have had two other kids since.

FA is a huge bummer, and frequent obstacle of normal family activities, but my wife and kids love me. I am very grateful for them. As an obviously ‘not normal’ dad and spouse, they really do not seem to care as much as I think they would.