Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Is Uber/Lyft Viable For Those With FA?

• Is Uber/Lyft Viable For Those With FA?

Posted by matt-lafleur on June 11, 2019 at 8:52 am

Ride-sharing seems all the rage these days and super convenient. Uber and Lyft seem so easy to use and great for traveling on a budget.

Are these services viable for those with FA? If you ever used them, how did the ride go? Would you recommend it for others with FA?

clester replied 4 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • lake-denk

June 11, 2019 at 9:48 am

I always use Lyft. They have an option to indicate ‘disabled’ on your profile allowing the drivers to know beforehand. They are the most understanding and compassionate drivers I’ve came across.

• matt-lafleur

June 11, 2019 at 10:00 am

Lake, you just made my day. I had no idea there was a disabled option. You are definitely a Great Lake.

• ryan-slade

June 11, 2019 at 10:26 am

This is not very relevant to me as I still walk unassisted…do I vote absolutely!

• matt-lafleur

June 11, 2019 at 10:29 am

I still want to know your experiences with them- especially any involving ataxia!

And voting? I’m confused. LOL

• ryan-slade

June 11, 2019 at 10:38 am

Lol…personally I have no problem with either. When ai was in Chicago only used them (I didn’t have a car). To me, it’s jst an opportunity to educate someone new about Ataxia. I generally, talk about it…before people ask.

• matt-lafleur

June 11, 2019 at 10:40 am

“doesn’t apply to me”- bull! We benefit from hearing from you, no matter what your stage of ataxia is!

• jean-walsh

June 11, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Uber kept asking me to meet my driver across busy city streets and sometimes they weren’t there when I finally got across…as in ride cancelled. Admittedly, this was my first Uber by myself in Boston. I have had better luck with Lyft. But on either, even when ordering a taxi, when you request a wheelchair access vehicle (WAV) things go much more smoothly.

• matt-lafleur

June 11, 2019 at 5:06 pm

Does requesting a WAV take super long?

• brian-rhodes

June 12, 2019 at 12:12 pm

I’ve used Uber and even Uber XL maybe 30 times in various cities. Me along with 3 – 7 others (coworkers) is common.
    With Uber, I’ve never noticed a ‘disabled’ flag of any sort, which is a bummer.

But in those ~30 calls, I’ve not had one showstopping experience. Little stuff, like telling the driver you can’t really be dropped off across the street from your destination (ie: avoiding cross traffic) and pulling up to ramps rather than curbs is needed, but not really that awkward.

• matt-lafleur

June 12, 2019 at 1:09 pm

How did the driver respond? Were they cool or aggravated with the request?

• brian-rhodes

June 13, 2019 at 1:26 pm

The drivers are typically pretty understanding. I’ve not gotten sideways with a driver on account of my FA, but a few due to other reasons (like being crazy drivers!:) )

• matt-lafleur

June 13, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Is “gotten sideways” a cool hip phrase that all the kids are using? Cuz I’ve never heard of it.

• brian-rhodes

June 22, 2019 at 12:51 am

ha! I assure you, if it’s cool, I will make it uncool once they find out I’m using it…

• clester

August 13, 2019 at 11:15 am

I realize it’s not exactly on topic but…..
    Something that has always been at the back of my mind whenever we go anywhere. What if we broke down? I’m handier than almost anyone,
    but what if it’s something I don’t have the tools(I keep quite a big tool box in the van) with me to fix? I’ve even changed a fuel pump, wheel bearing, water pump, etc. along side the road. It’s not just a tow truck you would have to call. I have to find transportation for my wife. Tow trucks aren’t wheelchair accessible. BIG money for us to break down.
    So it is nice to know Uber or lift has that option. I’ll have to look into that.

• clester

August 13, 2019 at 11:18 am

I’m over 50 and I’ve used the phrase “getting sideways” with someone since I was little so it’s been around a while.