Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Parents and Caregivers Is Travel a Pleasure or a Pain?

• Karina Jeronimides

July 1, 2021 at 3:43 pm

Hi Katie,

For me who do not have a mom or dad or spouse, only FA, traveling is most definitely a pain.  I feel like I need to pack my house to go anywhere, and pay a fortune for very mediocre or nonsense access.  The world is not perfect and makes it incredibly difficult for one with a disability to go anywhere.  I really think that our government should subsidize some of the  cost of our traveling, at least when renting a mobility van or a train.   Otherwise, would it not be wonderful if there were aide service at hotels?  Who can possibly pay $30 an hour to have an aide go on one’s vacation?  Also how awesome would it be if one could rent a handicapped taxi at a train station?!  However,  the prospect of thinking that my window is as far as my world view gets is unbearable.  I envy vagabonds / bums.

On a more positive note, Washington, DC , very close to where I live, has a decent public transportation system (busses and metros and even taxis with ramps if reserved in advance). The hotels have crappy access even if you pay a fortune. But at least one can go places.  I wish other cities in the US had better transportation systems.

Karina

• Katie Griffith

July 1, 2021 at 8:45 pm

Thank you for your insight, Karina! I know that has to be such a challenge 🙁 I am glad you are able to enjoy DC. My husband and I really want to plan a trip there soon!

• Christina Cordaro

July 2, 2021 at 7:37 am

@Katie-griffith thank you for sharing this blog! Very informative and it’s giving me great tips for my next trip!

My favorite vacation spot is going to the shore on our annual family vacations! I recently discovered a beach wheelchair and I love it! So much easier getting on and off the beach and going down to the ocean water.

• Katie Griffith

July 2, 2021 at 4:14 pm

I’m so glad it was helpful, Christina!

My son Noah used a beach wheelchair once when we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and it was amazing!

• Manu

July 7, 2021 at 7:47 am

Ciao Katie,

adoro viaggiare ma anche io come Karina non ho nessuno…è assurdo che nel 2021 non ci sia più accessibilità ed aiuti per chi è solo . Vivo in Italia.

Translated from Italian to English:

Hi Katie,

I love to travel but I too, like Karina, have no one … it is absurd that in 2021 there will no longer be accessibility and help for those who are alone. I live in Italy.

• Katie Griffith

July 7, 2021 at 7:54 am

Thank you for your response, Manu! I am so very sorry to hear of your difficulty in finding help in Italy 🙁 What is your favorite travel memory?

• Tina-D

July 7, 2021 at 9:43 am

If you have time, money, and an aide (husband) you can go lots of places. Cruises are the best because the staff will carry your tray, move chairs, whatever. But, some parts of the ship are inaccessible no matter what they say. DC and Orlando are great but hotel rooms are iffy. San Antonio, Vegas, Seattle were fine. London was do-able, accept the Tube which they promote as accessible but it’s not, the buses are. I’ve never been able to rent a beach wheelchair but would like to sit on a beach.

It always takes extra time to research and plan. I’ve used https://curbfreewithcorylee.com/ too!

I always pay more because I reserve early, six to ten months early.

I never travel alone. Because of broken promises and no recourse.

• Katie Griffith

July 7, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Thanks for the helpful tips, Christina! It is hard to believe what’s promised online. That’s why I love travel bloggers who experience it and give the pros and cons!