Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Going on rides with a disability

• Going on rides with a disability

Posted by Frankie Perazzola on July 23, 2019 at 8:13 pm

To say I haven’t been to a theme park in a while on any type of ride would be an understatement. A couple of days ago, I went on this ride called “The Zipper” at our towns annual festival. I am still able to walk so I did not have to transfer. But, I was thinking about if I did and it seemed difficult

For those of you who use a wheelchair daily, do you stay away from going on ridesĀ  and parks in general? For the rest of you, how do you feel about theme parks and carnivals?

Ralph Smith replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Ralph Smith

December 6, 2019 at 10:28 am

Xy Mia cannot transfer on her own, but riding rollercoasters is her passion. Her mom and I have taken a few measures that help in making her experience more enjoyable. First we take care of her feet. Her feet are very curved and super sensitive to touch. We found boots several sizes too big that fit nicely so if we bump her during transfer, she can handle it a bit better. We sometimes carry a second pair just in case. I cannot wear sandals or flip flops to the parks. I wear hiking shoes so I can be very steady on my feet during transfers. If the coaster car is low, her mom gets in the car and I lower her down with mom assisting. The best coasters for her are the ones that the chair is a bit higher and has the pull down Braces that hug your shoulders and waist at the same time. I never worry in those as her wobbly head is well protected as well. In the coasters that just have a waist strap or bar, I ride with her and always have an arm around her. I have only found a couple that she cannot ride. For instance, Space Mountain in Disney. Not much protection and she is isolated where I cannot reach to brace her. Her favorite is Rockin Roller Coaster in Disney World. And she loves tower of terror. Keep in mind that Xy Mia cannot hold herself up anymore. But that does not stop her. She was unable to walk by age 10, but I don’t think she will ever stop riding Park Rides.