Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

For my full-time position, I work in hospitality and am constantly answering incoming calls since it is a customer service-based role.

Within the past year, I have noticed my speech increasingly becoming slurred. I also have to use energy to speak and make myself understood.

Has anyone experienced this? How do you manage this FA symptom?

Ray Cotton
      Participant

Hi, Christina, I was experiencing some slurred speech. I hired a speech therapist thru Stanford which has been helpful. My key takeaway has that most problems surprisingly come from a lack of breath control and having enough oxygen to complete sentences.

Best,

Ray

I agree about the breath control! Sometimes I feel it takes so much energy and strength to get my words out.

Becky cook
      Participant

My speech is definitely a lot more slurred when I am tired so if you’re working in hospitality maybe a bar for example and anything after say 9 pm might be difficult. When I was working in a call Centre I was referred to a speech therapist who said keep things brief don’t say 25 words wen 10 will do and sometimes you don’t need to say very much, it’s difficult well first but after a while believe me it gets easier, there were certain words such as my mum I couldn’t say so instead of my mum I would say mother   . Xx

Thank you for sharing your story @becky1977! I’ve also been saying less/finding alternatives to get my message across and it has been helping.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Verify you are not a robot