Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Do you have any advice for experiencing slurred speech?

• Do you have any advice for experiencing slurred speech?

Posted by Christina Cordaro on August 2, 2022 at 10:00 am

For my full-time position, I work in hospitality and am constantly answering incoming calls since it is a customer service-based role.

Within the past year, I have noticed my speech increasingly becoming slurred. I also have to use energy to speak and make myself understood.

Has anyone experienced this? How do you manage this FA symptom?

Christina Cordaro replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Ray Cotton

August 4, 2022 at 3:44 pm

Hi, Christina, I was experiencing some slurred speech. I hired a speech therapist thru Stanford which has been helpful. My key takeaway has that most problems surprisingly come from a lack of breath control and having enough oxygen to complete sentences.

Best,

Ray

• Christina Cordaro

August 8, 2022 at 5:41 pm

I agree about the breath control! Sometimes I feel it takes so much energy and strength to get my words out.

• Becky cook

August 9, 2022 at 9:56 am

My speech is definitely a lot more slurred when I am tired so if you’re working in hospitality maybe a bar for example and anything after say 9 pm might be difficult. When I was working in a call Centre I was referred to a speech therapist who said keep things brief don’t say 25 words wen 10 will do and sometimes you don’t need to say very much, it’s difficult well first but after a while believe me it gets easier, there were certain words such as my mum I couldn’t say so instead of my mum I would say mother   . Xx

• Christina Cordaro

August 9, 2022 at 10:25 am

Thank you for sharing your story @becky1977! I’ve also been saying less/finding alternatives to get my message across and it has been helping.