Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Dating, Relationships, and Marriage Communicating with others-how to help you.

• Communicating with others-how to help you.

Posted by frankie-p on September 17, 2019 at 8:20 am

I think we have all been there- people insist on helping out which can sometimes just make the situation worse. For example, whenever I approach a door with my walker, I have to stop, adjust my body position and open the door. I love when people open the door for me but it can get dangerous if I’m already holding the handle.

I have to use most of my body weight on the door to open it so when I am already in motion to open it and then have someone grab and pull the door from my  hand, I most likely with trip and fall. How can I be polite and say no?

Does this happen to anyone else? What kind of experiences have you encountered?

frankie-p replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • christina-cordaro

September 17, 2019 at 9:47 am

This has been happening to me lately. I have been appreciating the help because I am finding it difficult to walk steady and balanced with my rollator. But I completely understand the need for you independence and wanting to do things on your own. I would suggest saying “I truly appreciate your kindness and offer to help me, but I would like to do this on my own”.

• frankie-p

September 19, 2019 at 10:21 am

Haha if only I could speak that fast. It generally happens pretty quick and before I even notice but thanks for the advice!