• CG-KC

December 20, 2021 at 8:05 pm

My husband is in later stages of FA. Currently we continue to share a bed. We have a California king size sleep number bed with no adaptive elevated head or foot of the bed. He does use a side rail that is anchored on the floor and a trapeze bar to allow pivoting his lower extremities in and out of bed. Obviously he requires about moderate assistance for bed transfers. He is having difficulty breathing at night so I am expecting he will progress to a hospital bed very soon.

• Tina-D

December 22, 2021 at 12:12 pm

I currently share a bed with my husband too that has nothing adaptive. I can no longer get in/out without assistance. I used a bed rail for about 10 years. I am now having difficulty turning from side to side. Not sure what device is next.

• CG-KC

December 22, 2021 at 1:16 pm

My husband has good strength but not coordination. For years we had a heavy oak dresser across from his side of the bed. We attached a small grab bar horizontally on top of the dresser. He would use that and the armrest of the power chair to pull himself over to the wheelchair.