Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Assistive Device Usage Wheelchair Position in Van?

• Wheelchair Position in Van?

Posted by matt-lafleur on April 8, 2019 at 9:16 am

I didn’t think of this until I was almost back home from my long car ride.

As a full-time wheelchair-user, I have a wheelchair-accessible van. It’s set up so that my wheelchair gets strapped in the back part of the van. I’ve heard of removing the van’s front seat, so that I could easily talk to the driver on the trip.

Is this really possible? Does anyone do it?

clester replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • clester

August 6, 2019 at 12:12 pm

My wife sits right beside me in the van. So yeah it is possible. I removed the seat. I also used regular seat belt connections for the chair which makes it much easier and ten times faster to fasten her in and unfasten. Just push buttons instead of the Ratchet strap things. And I bolted them to the frame of the van unlike most straps that are only attached to the sheet metal floor. Female part of the belts are attached to the van and attached the male ends to her chair. Solid quick and easy. Lol. And still have full use of the bench seat/fold out bed in the back. Lol

• clester

August 6, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Had the idea and designed a system that would automatically clamp her chair in place and release it with a small easily accessible lever. But I lost my shop so that probably will never happen.