Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA “What Do You Do With an Idea?” by Kobi Yamada

• “What Do You Do With an Idea?” by Kobi Yamada

Posted by Matt Lafleur on July 29, 2019 at 8:23 am

A few months ago my friend Kyle sent me one of his favorite books- “What Do You Do With an Idea?”

The book is written for children, but it also has a message that is profound for adults who read it for themselves.

The book is all about empowerment, about not shrugging off great ideas you may have. I think this message is especially important for those of us affected by FA.

Have you ever read this book? Tell us about the last time you had a big idea. What did you do with it?

Jake Tompkins replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jake Tompkins

July 29, 2019 at 10:13 am

Well dude the 2 Disabled Dudes podcast comes to mind. 2016, Saratoga Springs NY, rare disease day. I was having dinner with Kyle Bryant and Dylan McDonnell. While Kyle was eating soup (I only remember this because soup and I do not get along.) he asked what kind of music I record. “Anything from country, to rap, to little hippie singer songwriter girls, to voice over.” Then I saw the gears of an idea start churning in Kyle’s head. We had no idea how to accomplish a podcast, but now it’s 2019 and we are still doing it. I owe some of my new career to Kyle’s idea.

• Matt Lafleur

July 29, 2019 at 10:38 am

That’s amazing. (Especially the soup part, LOL.) Did you ever think you’d oversee a podcast? Podcasts are such a cool medium, and your podcast, the Two Disabled Dudes, is especially relevant to us FAers!

• Jake Tompkins

July 29, 2019 at 11:08 am

Both he and Dylan got soup, all I could do was stay real still (Ha!! Good luck!). We both decided we would try the idea of having one guy,Sean Baumstark, in California and one guy in Pennsylvania, Kyle Bryant. Oh yeah mixed, engineered, co-produced, and mastered by a dude in New York, Me. All 3 of us have FA and still do this! We don’t make $, it’s not about that. I want to show other people with FA that you can succeed despite FA.

• Jake Tompkins

July 29, 2019 at 11:53 am