• Posted by Tina-D on January 15, 2023 at 11:33 am

Anyone ever buy a wheelchair conversion van? I’m looking. But can’t figure out what to get. Any info would be appreciated.

clester replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • katie-griffith

January 16, 2023 at 4:59 pm

We haven’t reached this point quite yet. Hopefully others who have can pass along some good info!

• christina-cordaro

January 24, 2023 at 5:57 am

Same, I havent gotten here yet. But hopefully those who have been through this, can share their experience!

• Tina-D

January 24, 2023 at 8:40 am

I’ve stopped looking. They are too expensive, too big, too loud (road noise) and would not increase my independence.

• clester

October 12, 2023 at 4:05 pm

We have one and wouldn’t know what to do without it.

It’s a full size conversion . Although they stopped making regular full size vans so it would need to be an altered new cargo van or a used one.

We have to have full size because we use it to pull our small camper. …Which I made to be wheelchair accessible…..we have traveled with the van and camper all up and down the east coast UP Michigan to South Florida. We have camped in some very difficult to access and remote places…..but extremely beautiful sights we have seen.

Side note…if you go used for a lift van….make sure you know someone who is extremely knowledgeable on how to fix things. I’ve had to fix many electrical problems and even had to take apart the electric motor that powers the lift in order to clean and replace the brushes. Also the cam arms that operate the flap that bridges the gap between the lift and the floor of the van, broke and had for a while to figure out how to operate the lift safely without the cams .

This is the 2nd full size van we gave had and both have required much attention.

Not trying to scare anyone ….just giving a heads up that if you have to pay for repairs , it could get expensive unless you have a very handy person to fix the problems.

If you don’t need or plan to need to pull something you might want to go with a mini van ….they have as much head room as full size vans and in most cases can use a ramp instead of a powered lift.

They do make trucks with wheelchair lifts but they are Incredibly astronomically expensive.

We are going to need to replace ours soon and will go with a lightly used cargo van and I’ll install a lift myself.