• Transportation Options

Posted by katie-griffith on September 22, 2022 at 10:00 am

When your loved one is diagnosed with a rare disease, it changes so many aspects of life. The practical things that you take for granted like transportation become new issues that you have to figure out. 

My 21-year-old son who has FA uses a walker and currently still drives. When he first started driving, he drove a truck. As he progressed, we let him change to driving a Jeep Patriot so he could have a safe, dry place to store his walker.

In the next year or so, we may have to consider another option as his mobility needs change.

What mode of transportation currently works best for your family? 

katie-griffith replied 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • christina-cordaro

September 22, 2022 at 3:29 pm

I give your son all the credit for driving when having FA!

I was always afraid to drive, then when I was diagnosed at age 21, I really was hesitant to learn. I know hand controls would have to be a must.

Have you all looked into hand controls yet?

• Tina-D

September 22, 2022 at 3:30 pm

I had minivans until I stopped driving. I had to drive around my kids. Then we bought a 4-door I could transfer to. Now we may go back to an accessible minivan. I can no longer lift my legs enough to get in a truck or SUV. I’m short, only 5’2″. It took me 30 years to get to this point. Your son will let you know when his Jeep is too much.

• katie-griffith

September 25, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Yes, I’m sure he will! The unknown is hard but you just have to take it one step at a time.