• Dylan McDonnell

June 20, 2019 at 11:47 am

Actually typing this standing up in it now. Got mine a few months ago and I wish I would have done it much sooner. I try to do it about a 1/2 hour at a time. The one I got retails for over $3000 but i was lucky enough to have it payed for by Medicare and medicaid.

• Matt Lafleur

June 20, 2019 at 6:28 pm

Dude that is awesome! I have no idea, so I will ask. Is it hard to be in a standing position for a long time? Does your body need breaks, or can you stand for 10 minutes, 45 minutes, 2 hours, or forever? Asking cuz I have no idea.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 20, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I’ve had mine since March and it’s been worth having one and using it.

• Jonathan

June 20, 2019 at 6:24 pm

I didn’t know what a standing frame is, so I googled it. Link below. Seems good.

My backbone finally healed (again) a few weeks back, so I can do standing exercises again. Basically, while seated, I grasp onto support in front of me, position my feet, stand up, and then return by butt to my wheelchair. I’ll repeat this exercise with varieties of tempo and maybe a few extra small movements. I’ll also hold the standing position for 1-2 minutes. The purposes are to move blood and joints, improve heart function, and exercise the motor planning piece of my brain. Obviously, there’s other benefits, but those aren’t my aim.

For me, the standing frame isn’t necessary. I can fulfill my purposes with out it. In fact, it might (for me) provide too much support, which would slow progress towards my aim (i.e., if it’s too easy, change is unlikely).

Anyway, anything that gets you off your butt is a good choice.

https://www.rehabmart.com/category/standing_frames.htm#bottom

• Matt Lafleur

June 20, 2019 at 6:31 pm

2 minutes standing? You are a beast. I might be able to stand for that long, but that’d be pushing it. Is standing for that long a median time-length for you, or is it pushing it?

• Jonathan

June 21, 2019 at 9:40 am

2 minutes is my max for now. After enough practice (maybe in 4 months), I’ll double it.

• Dylan McDonnell

June 22, 2019 at 8:42 am

My idea in getting the stander was to do it and use it before I actually needed 1. I have 2 superpoles right next to each other that I used to stand in between. The stander is just a much safer option if something were to happen because I am way to beat up for another accident! It does hurt the feet and shins a bit especially if I try to do a longer one but it hurts less and less every time. I was able to stand for and hour yesterday and hope to continue doing the same or more!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 2, 2019 at 3:08 pm

I have had a standing frame for about 23 years. The problem I am having is every time I get a new wheelchair it becomes harder to get the chair to fit into the frame. Now that I am older and my muscles have gotten weaker, I really want a sit-to-stand frame. However, I have been having trouble getting my insurance to cover it. I am on Medicare and Medicaid.

• Matt Lafleur

July 7, 2019 at 3:36 pm

I thought all standing frames started in the sitting position, and brought you up to standing. That isn’t how most are?

• Dylan McDonnell

July 6, 2019 at 12:35 pm

A sit-to-stand frame would be the more accurate name for what I use.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 8, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Hi Dylan. I have medicare and Medicaid and I am having a hard time getting them to cover one. How did you get yours?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 8, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Matt, the newer ones do. With the one I have I have to be manually stood up by someone and strapped in.