• Service Dogs

Posted by katie-griffith on September 9, 2021 at 10:00 am

Let’s talk service dogs! My son Noah applied for a service dog last year. In April of this year, he and I traveled to Orlando, FL to tour the facility, obtain more info, and make sure he was a good fit for the program. We hope to go back in spring of 2022 to be matched and trained. Has your loved one ever used a service dog or shown interest in getting one? Let us know your experience!

katie-griffith replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • nelda-van-schoick

September 16, 2021 at 2:18 pm

My daughter Becca, who passed away in 2016, had a service dog from Canine Assistants in Alpharetta GA.  We went there for a 2 week training in 2008 and it was a wonderful experience.

Kringle was a Golden Retriever bred by Canine Assistants. He was a great dog, a perfect companion. He was not required to do very much because Becca was never alone, but he was her best friend.

We had to have Kringle put to sleep in June of this year–it was very sad and we felt as though we were telling Becca good-bye again. He would have been 15 in December and gave us a lot of joy throughout his 14 years with us.

• katie-griffith

September 16, 2021 at 3:09 pm

So glad that Becca had Kringle as a companion and that he continued to bring joy to your family for many years. Very sorry for your losses 🙁

• katie-griffith

April 13, 2022 at 2:50 pm

We are still waiting to be called for Noah’s service dog training. If you have a service dog, how long was your wait?

• katie-griffith

January 26, 2023 at 7:30 pm

Noah and I head to Orlando next week to start his training!

• christina-cordaro

January 30, 2023 at 10:18 pm

Thinking of you both! Keep us posted on how everything goes!

• katie-griffith

February 1, 2023 at 8:31 pm

We just finished day 3, and we are tired, but it’s going well!

• christina-cordaro

February 2, 2023 at 2:23 pm

I’m so glad to hear it’s going well!

• katie-griffith

February 27, 2023 at 7:33 am

We had a wonderful experience and definitely will be glad to answer any questions!