Tagged: ,

• christina-cordaro

March 24, 2021 at 8:15 am

I recently got a puppy, and I have difficult taking him out for walks. It is difficult while managing my rollator and holding the leash. This makes me sad because I feel as though I can’t fully take care of him and my husband has to do double work.

Does anyone else run into this issue?

• grant-lile

March 25, 2021 at 2:20 pm

I don’t have any pets at the moment, but have been thinking getting one. I have been interested in a puppy/dog, but like Christina has found, I’m worried I’ll find it overwhelming. I’m thinking maybe a cat? I am single and live alone, so I am looking for some company. Any suggestions?

• christina-cordaro

March 26, 2021 at 8:21 am

@grant-lile a cat maybe good because I hear they are less manageable. But there’s nothing than a better than a dog so excited to see you when you come home through the door!

• karina-jeronimides

March 26, 2021 at 4:03 pm

I have a cat and live alone every other week or more when my kids go to their father’s house. It’s so nice having a cat when I’m all alone!!
    However cats are not easy, but so much more possible to take care of than dogs.
    I think she’s worth the trouble she causes.
    Trouble: spills water and many other objects on the floor; coughs up hair balls in the winter, but they do not happen too much; she scratches down furniture pretty badly, and leaves cat hair everywhere. But cleaning her litter, changing her water bowl and feeding her are not an issue. I use a food dispenser that spits food for her throughout the day so she doesn’t ever wake me [she goes nuts when she is hungry]. I feed her half a can of wet food per day. She loves this. I take her to the vet once per year and require help to do that [my kids help with this]. But nobody wants to help with litter duty. Her nails are an annoyance.
    She makes your place smell a little different. I use candles and open windows all the time.
    Older cats are better – 2 years +. Young cats or kittens are cute but so annoying !
    My cat loves to sleep and eat but mainly to cuddle. She is so lazy. [some cats are not] She jumps on my lap, and makes me go to bed at night if i work too late: She jumps on my desk and sits on my keyboard. oh, and he hates eating alone. She is very jealous of my kids. We bgot her aat the pound when she was 6 months.

I hope this helps.

Karina

ps. i was a dog person my entire life.

• grant-lile

March 27, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Thanks for the advice Christina and Karina. A few pros and cons to think about. The main issue I have is where I live. I live on a golf course. So a dog would always have to be on a leash when outside. With a cat, I’d be constantly worried about the foxes I’ve seen in the early mornings or the odd hawk seeking its prey. I’m looking after my brother’s dog on Monday. So I’ll see how it goes.

• grant-lile

July 6, 2021 at 11:33 am

Sorry for this late reply.

Looking after my brother’s Giant Poodle for the weekend was tiresome! Bad enough being fatigued easily when doing small chores, but throwing in caring for a dog made me fatigued more. A well behaved and good dog, but not for me. I think I may go for cat or an aquarium.