Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Medical Marijuana Monday: Anxiety

• Medical Marijuana Monday: Anxiety

Posted by Frankie Perazzola on March 9, 2020 at 12:50 pm

One of the biggest reasons I indulge in smoking marijuana and using THC hast to deal with managing my anxiety. When I first started smoking in high school, that wasn’t the reason I fell into that lifestyle. I simply just liked getting high.

Things changed with experience and maturity. I am thankful I can look at it as a treatment aspect now.

One thing that I have noticed with smoking is that I have to do it when I know there will be minimal movements. For instance, i used to smoke before social gatherings and stuff like that to help calm down my anxiety and that stupid voice in my head. However, I noticed that it slow down my reaction process and physical capabilities Which made my anxiety even worse.

I thought that I would have a lot more trouble going to the public gym or anywhere else in public after I made that realization. I couldn’t be high and work out, although my brain was fine and it relaxed me, my movements were even more awkward and I felt I had to try harder.

Now, instead of doing it all the time, I only smoke at times of relaxation. For example, when I get home or Lang in bed about to go to sleep, that’s the best time for me.

What about you? Have you noticed a change in your body when you are high? For those of you who don’t smoke, are you curious about treating anxiety with medical marijuana?

Share your stories below and you never know, someone else could be going through the same thing that you are.

Pat Davis replied 11 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lichi Daniel

March 13, 2020 at 3:03 am

Marijuana or tobacco make me to be slow in coordination.

• Jeff Burress

May 15, 2023 at 10:08 am

To all & Frankie,

Do you still smoke marijuana for your anxiety or when you have a flair up?

Any side effects with the FA?

I have had Freidreich’s for many years. Lately the anxiety has been overwhelming. I have tried Zoloft and other medications but no luck.

Has anybody tried the marijuana gummies or edibles for anxiety? Do they work and do you have to take them long term or when your anxiety flairs up?

• Pat Davis

May 16, 2023 at 5:26 pm

I smoked as a teenager and again after retiring from military. I love it and surely miss it. For me, I got my card when medical was approved about 10 years ago. I had to quit drinking when it was obvious what used to take 12 beer’s to be impaired now took 1. 2 to make it hard to use bathroom or keep from falling from my chair.

I decided to use vaporizer out of respect of my wife who has never smoked, (or drank),  in her life. First time with vaporizer, I didn’t think I was doing it correctly and after working on it for a 1/2 hour, my wife came in to find me on the floor. She helped me literally crawl to bed where I slept for a full day and a half.

I moved the vaporizer to the bed side. What I found out was, 1 or 2 draws and I was out. Even though I never increased smoke or changed in anyway, my sleep time increased quickly to where I was sleeping more than awake.

My wife explained it this way. The disease affects the muscles. Add pot to that and your muscles are toast, at least in my case.