Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Parents and Caregivers Is Finding a Job Possible?

• Is Finding a Job Possible?

Posted by Katie Griffith on October 5, 2021 at 10:00 am

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM). We will be discussing different work-related topics on the forum this month. I remember when my son Noah, who has FA but wasn’t diagnosed at the time, turned 16 and began to apply for a part-time summer job. He had (and still has) voice issues and never heard anything back after multiple interviews. Has your loved one with FA been able to find a job that is a good fit? Let us know about your experiences.

Katie Griffith replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Christina Cordaro

October 6, 2021 at 7:08 am

I was once unemployed a few years ago. When I would apply to jobs and successfully pass the phone interview process, the next step was to do an in-person interview. I thought they went well, because the employer thought I was qualified for the role and expressed interest. So why wouldn’t I get a response? I could tell part of the reason for not getting the job was because I was using a walker. I almost felt like it would have been a nuisance. Having a disability in the workplace does set accommodations and modifications, but it can be done.

• Katie Griffith

October 6, 2021 at 9:11 am

Thanks for sharing your experience, Christina! It can be done and should be done!!