Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA How often do you see a cardiologist?

• How often do you see a cardiologist?

Posted by Christina Cordaro on March 13, 2020 at 10:00 am

A part of the yearly check-ups with your neurologist for FA, seeing cardiologists crucial. Heart conditions and cardiomyopathy can be symptoms of FA. It is important to get routine heart tests of an EKG and Echo-cardiogram.

I get these tests done every year when I go for my one visit. How about you? How often do you see it cardiologist?

Cristina replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Katherine

March 15, 2020 at 3:57 pm

I get an echo every year, after which my cardiologist usually tells me “Yeah I can see some wall thickening, but it’s not bad enough that we have to do anything about it.” I assume that means there’s a possible result that would cause them to do something(???) to improve my life somehow.

Curious to hear if anyone has experience with their cadiologists doing anything beyond running tests.

• Cristina

March 17, 2020 at 4:35 pm

My daugther, 14 years old, just had her echocardiogram and electrocardiogram the other day and was told she was steady from last year, wall thickness of 12mm, which is in the upper range of normality. If it rises to over 13mm she would require medicine. And during adolescence is when it grows usually.

Hopefully it’ll stay like this always 🙂

Cristina