Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Extreme Weather Conditions

• Extreme Weather Conditions

Posted by Matt Lafleur on July 11, 2019 at 8:39 am

A hurricane is expected to be in my area this weekend. Locals are running around preparing: buying water, batteries, and flashlights.

I can survive whenever my house loses electricity, but it’s not easy. Hopefully it won’t be too bad.

Do you have extreme weather conditions where you live? What are they? Any tips for an FAer who may be experiencing one soon?

Ryan Slade replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Ant Pinkie-Brown

July 11, 2019 at 9:37 am

It’s obviously Gods way of telling humanity not to populate inhospitable environments🤣
    Live in England-we get two days of the same sheathed and it’s either heatwave , floods, a bit blowy out, or snow that cancels work, schools and trains!

• Ryan Slade

July 11, 2019 at 10:08 am

In Austin we get tornados and flash floods. Basically I need a plan in case of these events. Although in your situation May be you should evacuate?

• Jonathan

July 11, 2019 at 9:29 pm

I live beachside in Daytona Beach, Florida. My home’s on the 5th floor of an apartment building facing the ocean and all the weather she brings. My wife, son, and I have tolerated a few hurricanes. The annoying issue is loss of electricity, which means the loss of a lot of things including the elevator.

Sure, we’re warned (or mandated or whatever) to evacuate…but we’re like, nah, bruh. We’re prepped. We’re committed. BRING IT. It’s a helluva view.

Basically, we camp inside until power’s restored. I think last time took 7 days or something. And when I say camp, I mean heating up cans of rice & beans with a little burner and fuel cells, goofing around with flashlights in the dark building halls, and day drinking. Sure, it was a little uncomfortable, but we made some memories.