Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Depression medication

• David

July 22, 2019 at 7:55 am

Hi Frankie

I’ve suffered from depression at many points but have not found an anti-depressant I can tolerate. I find the side effects are amplified for me. My doctor told me this may be because I have a neurological condition. The side effects do not wear off and after a month I could not persevere. My vision is very blurred (my eyes will not co-ordinate and I can only see out of one eye at a time) and I am totally exhausted all the time.

I have found that talking therapies (counselling) is helpful.

Most that I’ve tried are SSRI. If anybody knows one that works for them I’d like to know as well.

Good luck Frankie. Speaking to friends and family is often the best way to keep yourself well x

• Jonathan Dews

July 24, 2019 at 6:39 am

Hi Frankie. I have been using an anti-depressant prescribed by my UK doctor called Citalopram. When I tried it 6 months ago I took one 10 mg tablet a day but it didn’t do much apart from giving me mild diarrhoea! However, for the last month I have been taking one 20 mg tablet a day and it’s really made a difference. I take one as soon as I get up in the morning and after an hour or so I find it really improves my mood and energy levels. A friend of mine, who has ataxia,also finds them to be very helpful. They can cause side effects in some people but sometimes these will disappear after a few weeks. My experience has been very positive so far. Apparently Prozac has a similar effect.