Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Dating, Relationships, and Marriage Conversing with grandparents about disability

• Conversing with grandparents about disability

Posted by frankie-p on July 10, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Having a disability naturally puts you in the same physical category of our elders. Meaning, assistive device needs, mobility and medications- those kinds of things we have in common.

Recently, it’s been difficult to have discussions about my physical needs with my grandma. She asked me what I want for my birthday this year and I asked for a new wheelchair.

Although I use a wheelchair off and on now, it’s kind of becoming more of a necessity for me. Granted, I still walk and use a walker, but I have noticed Ive been using my chair a lot more, recently. Also, I will be in Europe for a month and  it will definitely be needed.

My wheelchair was given to me by my friend Chelsie Hill and I appreciate her for everything! I haven’t purchased one myself. However, it’s hard telling my grandma about my assistive device needs because she doesn’t understand how hard it is to ask for a wheelchair for your 27th birthday. It was a lot harder to discuss than I thought.

Anyone else run into these kind of situations with their grandparents? Any tips?

frankie-p replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.