Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Accomodations at School

• Accomodations at School

Posted by christina-cordaro on November 22, 2019 at 10:00 am

A few weeks ago,  I had the pleasure to meet a young woman/FA patient who is 16 years old.

She said the best accomodations her school has done for her is having extra time getting from class to class and having the ability to use the elevator when needed.

Has anyone else work with their school to make adaptations and modifications  because of FA? If so, what changes did you make?

christina-cordaro replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • cristina

November 27, 2019 at 7:56 am

I talked to my daughter’s school and they showed understanding to her situation. She also had back surgery (80ºcurve) back in july and she is still able to take the elevator to go to her class and even use a pilow for her chair. She is also exempt from doing gym class as her balance is not good and they are doing different sports that she is not able to do. She still goes to swimming class in school.

• christina-cordaro

November 27, 2019 at 8:38 pm

@cristina2002 that is great to hear that your daughter is exempt from gym class. I’m sure it’s a sign of relief because it maybe difficult to be faced with friends and peers who are able bodied.

• fiona-lamond

December 7, 2019 at 9:25 pm

I got extra time to write for exams and then someone wrote while I dictated. I was also allowed to leave class early so I could navigate the stairs without the crowd. I was also permanently excused from P.E.

• christina-cordaro

December 8, 2019 at 10:25 am

@fi extra time on exams sounds very accommodating!