Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA A new way of eating and having a diet

• A new way of eating and having a diet

Posted by Christina Cordaro on September 10, 2019 at 10:00 am

Recently, I heard another Friedreich’s Ataxia patient mention switching her diet to gluten free to help save energy associated with FA.

Do you partake in any diets or home remedies? Or has your neorolgist and doctor instruct you on a different diet approach?

Christina Cordaro replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Elizabeth Crabtree

August 13, 2020 at 11:14 am

Christina Cordaro, we are new to the diagnosis (less than a week) but have been working to help alleviate our incredible 8 year old’s symptoms for three years (the diagnosis was a journey). When we keep her on an anti inflammatory diet, mitochondria focused eating protocol, she does well. Minimal falls, lots of energy and less of a hand tremor. Gluten (in any form) is something that causes her to struggle (as well rice and soy). Not sure what other people have experienced but in our journey, nutrition is critical for our daughter and has taken a long time to figure out – I still am learning. It is the difference between one to two falls a day versus 20. I would love to hear what others experience.

• Christina Cordaro

August 14, 2020 at 3:44 pm

@elizabeth-crabtree this is great information! Thank you for sharing!