Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Assistive Device Usage 2019 AAI Winners Announced

• ryan-slade

June 27, 2019 at 9:42 am

Thank you! I am so honored and hope to do great things and spread awareness.

• jonathan

June 27, 2019 at 11:39 am

I think it’s a good grant for patients to try to earn. Personally, I’m not (currently) interested in recumbent bikes, but I might change my mind in the future.

My main exercise goals are to improve heart function (i.e., stamina and endurance), strength, mobility, and mental fortitude. Obviously, those goals seem vague, but there’s concrete steps involved. Anyway, the purpose of those goals is to be a better husband and father. Those jobs are usually demanding — well, for me they are.

For recreation, though? I dig the idea of grappling, like jiu jitsu or wrestling. I have wanted it for years and years. The idea of testing myself against (or at least resisting) another human being trying to strangle me seems…like a clear way to learn about how much capability is in me, my body, and my mind.

But I don’t have much time for that, so I just spar a bit with my 11 year old a few times a week. And, yeah, I day dream about rolling on mats with grown men.

• matt-lafleur

June 27, 2019 at 11:40 am

I would be honored to strangle you.

• jonathan

June 27, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Hahah!