Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA FA’s Effects on Personality

• FA’s Effects on Personality

Posted by Matt Lafleur on June 24, 2019 at 8:42 am

It’s a repeated fact that FA does not affect our mental capacities.

Yet I know it’s affected how I interact with the world. And, part of me feels like this is way too optimistic, but I think I’ve become a better person because of my struggles with FA. I think FA has made me more patient and more empathetic.

Even though we all hate and fight to get rid of, or to at lessen the choke-hold of FA, do you think it’s had any effect on your personality? Positive or negative?

Share your thoughts!

Francis P. Sullivan replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Clifton

June 24, 2019 at 11:37 am

I get mad quick and frustrated. I am sure I have become more accepting of traffic an stupid people. Although I do enjoy telling there kids I made my mom mad an she pushed me down the stairs. Or there mom beat me up. Lol To see there little faces light up I really know I scared them for life. Lol

• Matt Lafleur

June 24, 2019 at 12:22 pm

LOL come okn Clif, we’ve met! You’re a super friendly person. Is that sense FA or do you think that’s the way you’ve always been?

• Clifton

June 24, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Just cause im friendly in person doesn’t mean I don’t get mad or frustrated. I don’t like traffic to many people can’t drive and playing on phones.

• Sherrie espinosa

June 25, 2019 at 1:32 pm

I hate the fact that my mom/caregiver has to do everything for me.(she is writing this for me right now.) I have a lot of resentment towards people because I feel like they judge me outside of my close family circle. So I don’t like to be around crowds. But I’ve found a lot of faith, strength and comfort through God. I even wrote a book called Wisdom from a Wheel Chair. By Olivia Espinosa it’s full of Hope, inspiration, encouragement and support when your feeling your life’s struggles are hard. It’s a journal too a place where you can write your own thoughts. We can still struggle from time to time but we’ll always get through it. Olivia ❤️

• Matt Lafleur

June 25, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Wow Olivia. I think everyone can relate to your words. And congratulations on the book! Here is a link to it, if others want to check it out :

• Sherrie espinosa

June 25, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Thank you! You can found me on YouTube search Wisdom from a Wheelchair by Olivia Espinosa or you can look on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Search Wisdom from a Wheelchair. By Olivia Espinosa. It’s filled qoutes in hope to help anybody who struggles in their life.❤️

I challenge you to not think
    about what hurts you, but think
    about what empowers you.
    Olivia ❤️

• Francis P. Sullivan

June 26, 2019 at 7:59 am

Hello all! A newcomer here. Am just browsing here this morning. I’m a 69 yr old male. Diagnosed about 20 yrs ago with LOFA. Gradual symptoms starting 4 or 5 years before that. Can still walk very short distances with a walker. (slowwwwly).

Anyway, yes, I think these many years with FA has affected my personality somewhat. And by that I mean I am a tad quieter in a group setting, even if it’s just my own family. I’d say I was never a ‘chatty Cathy’, mind you. But, as FA’ers know, sometimes it can be a lot of work just to talk. When I do pipe-in, the words/sentences come across so slowly, that chances are good I’ll get stepped on by someone else who’s (unconsciously) a bit impatient with me, and takes over the discussion. This is frustrating, if not maddening, and makes me reluctant to even try.

• Matt Lafleur

June 26, 2019 at 8:50 am

Thanks for replying Francis. You make a great point about how we FAers may not be as talkative as we used to be. What is LOFA?

• Francis P. Sullivan

June 26, 2019 at 11:19 am

Hi Matthew. LOFA is Late Onset FA. It’s FA, which strikes later in life, and typically progresses a bit slower than ‘normal’ FA. But all of us progress differently, and at different rates I guess.