Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Working Adults with FA

• Debi

September 27, 2019 at 5:11 pm

I’m in the same spot. Still at full time but starting to struggle since job is mostly on feet.
    Plan to get FMLA paper work in soon to help.
    Not sure if quitting too early will effect chances of having disability approved or how that works.
    I figure my safety is top concern. I work slower and have limited some of the tasks I do. But I feel safe still. 😉

• Christina Cordaro

September 27, 2019 at 11:12 pm

@debijean what type of work do you do if your mostly on your feet? I work in the hotel industry and its sometimes just as emotionally tiring!

• Debi

September 29, 2019 at 7:34 pm

I am a retail manager. The position can do everything from unloading warehouse trucks to customer service to payroll reports and hiring. I’ve cut back on much of the physical tasks but there’s simply not enough other things to keep me busy full time.

• Karina Jeronimides

October 1, 2019 at 10:48 am

I just got an accommodation decreasing the number of classes I have to teach by one third. (I am a teacher) Unlike before, I have time to shower, dress, shop for food, go to sleep at a reasonable hour, and go to doctor appointments, while also working a fair amount. I get paid full time; even though, I work part time for a non FA person. I still work on weekends to get my work done, but am able to put my work aside to sleep and socialize and spend time with my kids. It’s all rather fantastic. It probably helps that I’m on year 10 of my job, that I just got a promotion, and that I always have given my job my all. And, of course, that I am in academia.

• Christina Cordaro

October 1, 2019 at 11:51 am

@karina congratulations on your promotion! It sounds well-deserved 🙂