Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Parents and Caregivers The Holidays Can be Complicated

• The Holidays Can be Complicated

Posted by katie-griffith on December 1, 2022 at 10:00 am

December is here! It’s the last and probably the busiest month of the year. After the year of loss that my family has experienced, I have to admit that some days I dread the festivities instead of look forward to them. 

When life is especially hard and you are barely making it day by day, extra events can be challenging to say the least. It can be really easy to start comparing your life with other people and end up feeling bitter and ungrateful.

How do you stay grounded during the holidays? Are you full of anticipation or anxiety?

katie-griffith replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • karina-jeronimides

December 1, 2022 at 5:14 pm

It was a real hassle getting to my sister’s this year for Thanksgiving.  It was particularly hard because nobody, not even my kids, seemed to realize that my abilities are different. And I had to do it on my own.  Inside her house were more challenges…  I cried dry tears during the dinner at seeing what they all  could do and enjoy, and how much I had lost. I then got angry at myself for acting like a victim and started thinking about all the good things in that room : my 18 year old’s daughter’s superhuman strength, my 16 – year old daughter’s kindness, my brother in law’s fantastic abilities as a chef.  My sister’s efforts in beautifying her house and dog for us. My nephew’s ability to laugh at the most silly things I show him. And their dog’s preference for me.

I bought a huge sign this year right after halloween, that says “thankful” and put it behind my family photos.  I did it so that I would focus on all the good that I do have this holiday season.  Because it’s too easy to get depressed right about now as you put so well.  I also sent quite a few thank you texts and emails after our dinner.

Thinking about the people and things I am is grateful and thankful for, really helps me survive the holidays.

To all of you, hang in there, be strong, or as they say in French “courage!”

Hugs,

Karina

• katie-griffith

December 1, 2022 at 8:33 pm

What a beautiful choice to be thankful even when things were challenging for you! Thank you, Karina, for your bravery ❤️