• Tina-D

September 8, 2020 at 5:40 pm

I was told water has a low viscosity (The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to deformation at a given rate. For liquids, it corresponds to the informal concept of “thickness”: for example, syrup has a higher viscosity than water) so I drink water slowly, through a straw. Sometimes I still choke and cough. That leads to people offering me more water but I refuse it and then have to explain water make me choke. Most people don’t understand how chewed food goes down ok but water causes choking. Actually I don’t understand it but there is a reason. Oh, I also swallow pills and then drink water if the pills are not too big.

• Cheryl

September 8, 2020 at 6:49 pm

Choking is common with ataxia. I did a swallow study and found that my esophagus is paralyzed. I was told a speech pathologist can teach you ways to avoid it, not curing it but teaching methods to reduce the risks. That said, I do not see a speech therapist due to the expense even with insurance (my sons medical issues are priority).

• Christina Cordaro

September 9, 2020 at 6:49 am

@tina1995 I do the same thing when swallowkng pills!

• Christina Cordaro

September 9, 2020 at 6:51 am

@cheryl-browning thats understandable. Were you able to look at techniques online?

• Cheryl

September 9, 2020 at 3:13 pm

@christina-logan honestly I never even looked tho I really need to! Thank you!!