Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I noticed recently that I have trouble swallowing liquids and either cough or choke when I drink big gulps of water.

Does any of this happen to you? What remedies do you have?

Christina Duncan
      Participant

I was told water has a low viscosity (The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to deformation at a given rate. For liquids, it corresponds to the informal concept of “thickness”: for example, syrup has a higher viscosity than water) so I drink water slowly, through a straw. Sometimes I still choke and cough. That leads to people offering me more water but I refuse it and then have to explain water make me choke. Most people don’t understand how chewed food goes down ok but water causes choking. Actually I don’t understand it but there is a reason. Oh, I also swallow pills and then drink water if the pills are not too big.

Cheryl
      Participant

Choking is common with ataxia. I did a swallow study and found that my esophagus is paralyzed. I was told a speech pathologist can teach you ways to avoid it, not curing it but teaching methods to reduce the risks. That said, I do not see a speech therapist due to the expense even with insurance (my sons medical issues are priority).

@tina1995 I do the same thing when swallowkng pills!

@cheryl-browning thats understandable. Were you able to look at techniques online?

Cheryl
      Participant

@christina-logan honestly I never even looked tho I really need to! Thank you!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account