Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Assistive Device Usage My Ankle Buckles Under My Body Weight

• My Ankle Buckles Under My Body Weight

Posted by matt-lafleur on August 6, 2019 at 8:17 am

My standing frame came in today. I’ve been really looking forward to getting it. It’s pretty much a standing desk with support for someone who can’t stand on their own.0

When I pumped it up to its full height, my left foot started really hurting. The person who installed it said  that my  left ankle tended to buckle instead of bearing my weight.

She reccommended I try using AFOs to  help straighten my ankle. I’ve never heard of this problem. Do other FAers have trouble bearing weight on their ankles?

raymond-good replied 4 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Dylan Mohart

August 6, 2019 at 10:05 am

Yes iam 47 now but my right ankle has buckled since forever, I can still use my left to do a pivot transfer, blessed with that capability, use a wheelchair 24/7

• felicia

August 6, 2019 at 11:40 am

I don’t have that problem with my ankle but i do have it on my right knee

• dylan-mcdonnell

August 6, 2019 at 1:46 pm

When I 1st started using my stander my ankles and feet would hurt quite a bit but got better every time. Before you get AFOS try a couple of ankle wraps or braces and hopefully that will be enough.

• tara-oakes

August 10, 2019 at 4:49 am

I’m 22. My ankles don’t buckle but they are slowly beginning to weaken and roll over more easily, especially my right which can be painful if I’m not careful. I use a wheelchair but use railings and furniture to walk around at home.

• raymond-good

August 13, 2019 at 9:46 am

Living with a lady with Fa still stand up for about 1 hour a day But have splints for feet ass ankles not good