Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Research, Science, and Trials Is FA research speeding up, or is it just me?

Tagged: ,

• Is FA research speeding up, or is it just me?

Posted by Matt Lafleur on April 17, 2019 at 7:55 am

Lately it seems that there is a new and striking development in FA research every other month or so. I’ve seen fascinating articles on gene therapy, etravirine, MOXie, the efficacy of physical therapy and idebenone, and many others.

This is incredible to me, since for a long time I wasn’t aware of any progress on FA research.

I wonder if this way of thinking is entirely subjective. Am I only aware of more research news now because of Friedreich’s Ataxia News, or are there more new developments these days? What do you think?

Jessie Beatty replied 4 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 17, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Good news for us FA’ers. To me it’s not subjective thinking when its a reality. There’s many promising treatments that are benefiting our community.

• Matt Lafleur

April 17, 2019 at 9:49 pm

I’m just wondering if there’s just as much news as there’s always been, and I’m just paying attention now, or if there is really more news these days!

• Shandra

June 3, 2019 at 11:12 am

It’s definitely speeding up. 🙂

• Giulio Carcano

June 5, 2019 at 9:59 am

I agree with you, everything is accelerating like never before in so many years, this is fantastic, there are many more hopes for cure, there is a lot of money for research never seen before. All this is wonderful.

• Jessie Beatty

June 16, 2019 at 12:19 pm

I have only known my daughters diagnosis since October 2018, but from all the news and the research I have seen, I truly feel they will find a cure or at the very least a treatment to slow progression. I am realist, I try to not get overly positive about all the news on drug developments but I truly feel a treatment is close.

• Matt Lafleur

June 17, 2019 at 10:12 am

I am really glad you are part of the forums. How is your daughter doing?

I feel the same way as you about research- trying to be a hopeful realist. It is tough though!

• Jessie Beatty

September 13, 2019 at 11:04 am

Matthew, Thank you, so glad to have this. I get good info from these forums and reading what other people are saying about a treatment keeps my sprits up. It seems it’s not just me that feels like we really have some hope. I just want that treatment NOW!! How long ago would you say the research for a treatment for FA has picked up speed? Has it been in the past 5 years? Or more like the past 1 or 2 years?