Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Is Dark Humor Common With FA?

• Is Dark Humor Common With FA?

Posted by Matt Lafleur on June 13, 2019 at 8:21 am

I will be honest, I like my humor like my soul — pitch black.

That’s a joke. See?

The tendency to use dark humor seems prevalent in the FA community – probably in anyone who understands what hard days are like to live through.

What do you think? Is dark humor common in the FA community? Why do you think that is? And do you enjoy dark humor or not really?

Jonathan replied 4 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Jonathan

June 13, 2019 at 9:28 am

I love dark humor. It’s medicine. And I think it’s origin is based on human nature. When people share dark or hard times together, it gives birth to a coping mechanism that might seem insensitive and callous, but the intent isn’t malicious. It’s to make difficulties a little more tolerable. It’s a relief. It’s for fun. And it’s almost like a badge of honor that reflects how far into hell you and others have been.

• Matt Lafleur

June 13, 2019 at 9:37 am

I absolutely agree. Do you ever get scared that it may be harmful for other people who may be mentally struggling?
      (Honest question- I’m not trying to lad you to an answer. I wonder this.)

• Jonathan

June 13, 2019 at 11:01 am

No. I don’t have much compassion. If dark humor hurts your mental health (UNPOPULAR OPINION), you’re weak. You need to visit hell more often and see yourself dominate it. That’s how somebody gets stronger. I expect people to aim for strength. Complaints annoy me because they’re worthless and drive a person’s spirit further downward. Also, they contaminate others’ spirits, which builds a setting that it’s okay to be soft. Soft people suffer more. That is the exact opposite of my ideal.

• Matt Lafleur

June 13, 2019 at 1:12 pm

You know I respect you buddy , but I gotta agree to disagree with you here. Even though I really can value the fortitude you adhere to, I hope to help others become stronger when they are weak. Cuz I know there’s a lot of weakness in myself that I hope other people can help me through. I got a masters degree hoping to help others get to a point where they view and value strength like you do.

• Jonathan

June 13, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Lead by example, sir.

• Ant Pinkie-Brown

June 13, 2019 at 11:01 am

I call it gallows humour. Life in general is tough, why not alleviate things a bit by laughing at adversity?
    Apparently, lots of folk with Fa find inappropriate humour funny. Is it a reflex we have?

• Matt Lafleur

June 13, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Lol amen brother

• Matt Lafleur

Lol amen brother

• Matt Lafleur

Lol amen brother

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 13, 2019 at 2:50 pm

I recently saw a video on YouTube and it was about a guy who battled leukemia. He said that what helped him go through chemo was his homies/friends roast him.
    I enjoy dark humor but I prefer to call it roasting. I roast myself and family is part of our conversations as well. I see other communities not just the FA community embrace dark humor.

• Gunnhild

June 18, 2019 at 12:22 pm

This could be a quote Jonathan!

You need to visit hell more often and see yourself dominate it.

I think it’s the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time.

To be able to master the darkness you must go all the way down into the hell to experience it… then rise again and you know more what to do to avoid hell. Goes with most aspects of life I think🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼 Thank you guru Jonathan😁

• Jonathan

June 18, 2019 at 12:37 pm

Hahah, I’m not a guru. What I wrote is basically an old philosophical/psychological approach to life. I’m just passing on messages that seem useful to me. I’m more of a collector…or a treasure hunter. 😛