Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA Friedreich’s Ataxia, Disability, and Breaking Down Barriers in Care Settings

• Friedreich’s Ataxia, Disability, and Breaking Down Barriers in Care Settings

Posted by FA Forums Moderator on April 23, 2019 at 8:40 am

Jamie-Lee Dwyer thinks that as a society, we need to find a way to shift our public perception and stop assuming that physical and mental disabilities are one and the same. Find out what that means here.

Do people assume that, just because you are physically disabled, that you are also mentally disabled? How do you react when you encounter these assumptions?

Catherine Vasquez Ortiz replied 4 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 23, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Yes all the time! That’s part of the reason I’m an introvert. Its starts with us (disabled community)like you talk about in your article Jamie, to show people we’re human also and can contribute to society. As I am meeting other Faers some are poets, ambassadors, writers, etc. Were headed in the right direction to correct the negative notion that’s on disabled people.

• Catherine Vasquez Ortiz

April 29, 2019 at 6:52 pm

Hello I’m 49 years old aand I have FA it came Llate Onset. Now my ssymtoms are getting wworse Everyday. And tthe worse part is No DDoctor here will see mMe. I’m in Tampa FFlorida. Do you have aany Suggestion on this. I know that I am rresponding to the wrong topic but I’m new and don’t know how tto start one.

April 29, 2019 at 6:54 pm

I’m sorry everything came out double. I can really spell. LoL

April 29, 2019 at 6:59 pm

Jamie I read your post and I really myself can’t Answer that. It’s Anyone’s Right to Choose. But that’s how people think. Myself I need to stay Strong 💪 and focus on my safety. I have no caregiver No Doctors I really don’t know what to do with what’s going on

April 29, 2019 at 7:30 pm

Frankie thank you for replying. I’ve been to USF and seen Dr. Z the problem is I need a referral to see her and No Primary care doctor will take me as a patient. I have Humana and I have tried and tried to a doctor and none of them are educated on this. It’s so frustrating 😫 Can you see if you can find out something for me? Thanks

April 30, 2019 at 11:03 am

Frankie and Matt hello I’m not sure how to reply to a message but all the doctor’s that I have called First are already judging me from the way I speak. I have been looking for a Primary Care just to see me and try and get referrals to see other doctors. I have a Case Manager through Humana and she also has been helping me. We called USF this morning and they don’t have a Primary Care who takes my insurance. Then called another place that had already set me up with a an appointment and when we called to Verify the appointment they only take Humana Military. I have a Primary Care now that I have been wanting to change due to the fact that she is Not Compassionate at all. I have been requesting a Scooter Chair for in my home and have been waiting for a month. I’m covered at 100% but this doctor has Not done a thing about it. I try not to call a lot because I don’t want to be a PITA! Or get them Upset. I’ve asked for referrals for a Cardiologist and they basically said Yeah will work on it and get back to you. Still Nothing 😔 It’s making me feel so depressed. I’m here trying to Stay Safe and these people seem to not care. I don’t know What Else to do. I need help and No One Seems to Care. I’m not asking them for Anything but a Scooter. My Symtoms are getting worse Everyday and I can’t focus on that. I need to stay positive but how can I with everything that’s going on. Who do I turn to? If Anyone has ANY information Please direct me! I’m in Tampa Florida. Thank you!