Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA FA and Bladder-Control

• FA and Bladder-Control

Posted by matt-lafleur on August 5, 2019 at 8:18 am

I’ll get vulnerable here for a second. This isn’t very fun to talk about. Having Friedreich’s ataxia, bladder control isn’t the easiest thing to deal with. Does anybody have any tips, medicines, etc. that really help them out? Any tips would be appreciated.

clester replied 4 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ant-pinkie-brown

August 5, 2019 at 2:24 pm

Drink less? Prayer? Seriously, nothing I know of helps. Just one of the many problems to put up with!

• becca

August 6, 2019 at 9:34 am

My mom has FA and she uses oxybutynin (Ditropan XL) or tolterodine (Detrol) to manage this. Hope this helps!!

• matt-lafleur

August 6, 2019 at 10:44 am

These are awesome tips. Thank you so much!

• jonnyf

August 7, 2019 at 7:32 am

Hi Matthew. I have had this problem for a while and I was advised by the Ataxia clinic in London, England to make an appointment to see a Urologist. This turned out to be really useful. Before seeing the Urologist I had been taking oxybutinin, which I notice somebody has mentioned in a reply to you. Personally I found these tablets made my mouth really dry and they weren’t that effective anyway. The Urologist prescribed mirabegron and tamulosin. You take the mirabegron during the day and the tamulosin before you go to bed. Personally I find these drugs work much better and they don’t make your mouth as dry.I have a friend with ataxia and he uses the same drugs.
    Hope this helps
    Best wishes
    Jonathan

• matt-lafleur

August 7, 2019 at 9:13 pm

Thank you so much Jonathan. This is very helpful

• clester

August 15, 2019 at 10:42 am

May sound odd but my wife used to have that problem until she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, which is common for people with or without FA. She was prescribed ferosimide (hope I spelled that right), it’s a water pill/lasics,(in the morning) and it helps get rid of fluid build up. And that helped her tremendously. She almost never has “accidents” now. And since the Dr tried to kill her which ended up killing her large intestine(she has an ileostomy), because of that she has to make sure she drinks a lot more than she used to. That made her have accidents a lot but since the water pill she doesn’t hardly ever.