Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Parents and Caregivers Tough Questions From A Child with FA

• Isabelle

January 31, 2019 at 3:00 pm

J’ai toujours dit la vérité à ma fille. Elle connait le nom de sa maladie depuis ses 12 ans, et quand elle posait des questions comme “maman pourquoi je ne marche pas droit? pourquoi je tremble?, pourquoi je suis fatiguée?” etc..je lui expliquais petit à petit en quoi consistait la maladie avec des mots adaptés à chaque age. Aujourd’hui elle comprend son handicap et trouve meme toute seule des solutions à ses problemes ( exemple: “maman jai du mal à boire normalement et si j’utilisais une paille?”). Elle n’accepte pas la maladie mais au moins elle sait pourquoi elle est en fauteuil roulant, le pire c’est de ne pas savoir pourquoi tu perds tes capacités motrices.

English:

I always told the truth to my daughter. She has known the name of her illness since she was 12, and when she asked questions like “Mom, why do not I walk right? Why do I tremble? Why am I tired?” etc. I explained to him little by little what illness was with words adapted to each age. Today she understands her disability and even finds solutions to her problems by herself (example: “mother has trouble drinking normally and if I use a straw?”). She does not accept the disease but at least she knows why she is in a wheelchair, the worst is not to know why you lose your motor skills.