• When Is Struggling Good?

Posted by Matt Lafleur on May 31, 2019 at 9:10 am

As parents and caregivers of those with FA, you are very familiar with the frustration the comes with this disease.

I am of the opinion the struggling with a difficulty, though aggravating, keeps those of us with FA stronger and more independent.

When do you decide to step in and help, or to allow the person to continue struggling?

Jonathan replied 4 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Ryan Slade

June 3, 2019 at 4:45 pm

So I study an research a number of things that may be beneficial. One of which is anti-aging. A TON of stuff applies to us.

A major concept in that community is “Hormesis”. which is a biological phenomenon whereby a beneficial effect (improved health, stress tolerance, growth or longevity) results from exposure to low doses of an agent that is otherwise toxic or lethal when given at higher doses. The philosophy of Hormetism, advocated in this blog, is based upon harnessing this biological phenomenon in a deliberate and systematic way in order to increase strength and resilience.

Basically what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.

So I truly believe that allowing someone to struggle to a point, is actually the best thing for them.

Just like carloie restriction to an extent makes you live longer. Too much will kill you though!

• Jonathan

June 28, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Struggling is life. Whether or not you have ataxia, struggling and suffering and failure — it’s all unavoidable. Does it make you stronger and more resilient? Does it make you smarter and adaptive? Yes and no.

Yes, it does make you better, but only when you see yourself overcome it. Did you solve problem? Did you tolerate the pain? Good. Do you understand how you did that? Better.

Don’t expect to get tougher by simply struggling through life with ataxia. Look at your struggle, your obstacles, your mistakes and really understand HOW and WHY you grew past them.

The struggle isn’t what changes you into something better. Most folks wilt when there’s resistance. They change into something weaker. Metaphorically or psychologically, they move closer to death. And when you’re mentally weak, which I realize is an abrasive phrase, every little thing feels like a struggle.

Like I already mentioned: it’s overcoming struggle that makes for a good change. Seeing yourself do it and understanding it makes for a better change.