Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Dating, Relationships, and Marriage Awkward Questions from Family/Friends

• Frankie Perazzola

January 30, 2019 at 3:22 pm

The one I enjoy the most is “So have you tried working out?”

Its always from someone who hasn’t stepped foot in a gym in a while or in life.

or

“Somebody has it worse than you so be grateful”

Which I most definitely agree with. But, I feel like hearing it frequently kind of diminishes my feelings. Its like, “thanks Susan! Just telling you about FA in general because you asked.”

See what Im talking about here

• Robert Rhodes

February 16, 2019 at 1:22 pm

The most awkward exchange that I’ve had so far is teaching my cardiologist about FA.
    It feels a bit weird when the patient has to teach the doctor about a medical condition.
    Even more peculiar when the doctor acts both grateful and insulted that you know more about it than he does.

(My first ataxia symptom was congestive heart failure on both sides of my heart. It happened about a decade
    before the human genome was mapped. FA wasn’t determined until over three decades later.)

• Matt Lafleur

February 16, 2019 at 2:08 pm

I know how you feel man, but good for you for advocating, on all of our behalf. Thankfully, it seems like more and more people are familiar with FA. But how are you doing these days?