AJ Perez: What more FA awareness would mean
If there was more awareness, I think for me the thing that would change would just be finding [diagnoses] maybe a little bit sooner, because it was like a 10-year battle of trying to find out what was wrong. So if there was more awareness throughout the medical field that would help in a way where others aren’t struggling to find out what’s wrong with them.
Also, the more you know about something, the more likely people are to develop medicines that could eventually help people. I know right now we have one medicine, drug, that was already approved but there could be a lot more right now instead of just one. And instead of only being available right now, it could have been available a while ago. So, that’s the important of awareness in the medical field, I think.
- Rare Disease Day in a leap year keeps focus on the rarest of the rare
- Handling my life when it’s not easy being me
- Braving the new world of 2024 for Friedreich’s ataxia treatment
- Nomlabofusp (CTI-1601) at high dose safely raises frataxin levels
- Immune protein activator honokiol restores mitochondria in FA cells