• In Need of Genetic Testing

Posted by Matt Lafleur on February 27, 2019 at 9:30 am

To broadcast how old I am, I was diagnosed with FA before the gene that causes it was discovered.

As a result, I am confirmed as having FA (my blood sample, along with my sister’s, were two of 16 samples used to identify the FA gene!).

One of the prereq’s for participating in a clinical trial is a genetic test. How do I go about getting one? What was your genetic test like?

Chris replied 5 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Chris

March 4, 2019 at 6:36 pm

After a few MRIs and other basic tests and my neurologist having a strong guess, I got a referral from my neurologist to meet and get a genetic test from a doctor specializing in genetics. He took 2 vials of blood and sent it out to a lab. A genetic counselor reached out to me with the results.

Ask a neurologist if they or someone else can take your blood and test it for FA.

• Shandra

March 27, 2019 at 10:07 am

Matt that’s so cool omg. Like, REALLY cool. 🙂

Have you tried contacting the study team? I’m positive they could give you proof of your FA. They probably still have some of your blood in a -80 freezer lol.

Technology has definitely improved though and therefore if you just did a new test now they could actually give you your repeat numbers (instead of a presence/absence diagnosis). It’ll cost you though, even with insurance 😐 …Like Chris said you’d just need your neurologist to request it.