• Adaptive Home

Posted by christina-cordaro on June 25, 2020 at 8:52 am

Currently I live in an apartment building, but my husband and I are thinking about purchasing a home soon COVID19 has made realize being confined in an one bedroom apartment has been difficult, we want to settle into a home and we want to find something that fits my accessible needs. We already know we need ramps to get in and out of the home, a walk in shower and large doorways to fit my rollator and if I use a wheelchair in the future.

What features do you have to make your home accessible? Can you think of other suggestions?

christina-cordaro replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Tina-D

September 3, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Did you find a house? I moved to a bedroom-on-main 2 years ago. We discovered houses say they are wheelchair compliant but they have narrow hallways, weird angled walls, or sunken rooms! Whatever you buy you will have to remodel – I have done 2 bathrooms and added 2 front door ramps. And nothing is cheap but, regular contractors can do the work so avoid “special needs” contractors.

• christina-cordaro

September 4, 2020 at 10:21 am

@tina1995 I did find a house! Like you, I also am making ADA accomodations. First project we’re doing is making the bathroom and shower accessible.