Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Living With FA any helpful tips for handling being in the dark?

• any helpful tips for handling being in the dark?

Posted by Deleted User on April 22, 2019 at 7:49 pm

one of the worst things for me to do with having FA is my complete inability to do anything while being in the dark or something.

like, while standing upright and the lights go out or something i just completely lose all balance and fall to the ground unless i find something to hold on to while i wait to be able to see again.

is there anything i can do to potentially make this better for me or anyone else for that matter?

Frankie Perazzola replied 4 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 23, 2019 at 1:05 pm

I would recommend you to get a walker especially if the power goes off and it’s totally dark.

• Matt Lafleur

April 23, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Not sure where my comment went. I said that I definitely agree with the walker idea for a long-term solution. Meanwhile, make sure you have plenty of flashlight you can use when the lights go out. FAers rely very much on their sight for balance, so anything that helps us see is a huge help!

• Shandra

June 3, 2019 at 11:29 am

My iPhone flashlight is my very best friend. I have a walker but that really doesn’t make a difference, I NEED to see

• Jarrod Guth

June 5, 2019 at 5:07 pm

For my son Maxwell, I have made sure that our lights are connected to Google Home, so (as long as it’s not a power outage) he can get the lights back on quickly with his voice. I have also added emergency plugin lights around the house, so they will kick on if there is a power outage. They double as nightlights as well. Not sure if any of this helps, but it has helped us keep him out of the dark.