• Diagnosis Journey

Posted by Christina Cordaro on April 20, 2022 at 10:00 am

Today will be 10 years since I was clinically diagnosed with Friedreich’s Ataxia, even though I was showing symptoms long before that. When I look back throughout the years, I am proud of how far I’ve come, becoming mentally strong while living with a chronic illness.

When were you diagnosed and what is one positive aspect you can share from your FA journey?

Katie Griffith replied 2 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Katie Griffith

April 25, 2022 at 7:49 am

Thank you for sharing your experience! You are an inspiration 😊

• Pat Davis

April 26, 2022 at 3:41 pm

I was diagnosed in 2002 shortly after retiring from the Army. Throughout my career I really struggled with physical fitness, marksmanship, confidence course and doing my daily duties. I never failed at anything I attempted but I had to work much, much harder than my peers. I left as a Truck Master and with absolutely no regrets! My brothers and sister were in wheelchairs in their late 20s, early 30s.

I believe that the military service kept me out of the wheelchair and it allowed me to build much more strength that has allowed me to live longer and a better life. Now I have a wife that takes extremely good care of me and allows me to try doing stuff that I really want to do. She has the patience of a saint! Even though she is in her mid-70s and I am a handful to take care of, we are traveling using a van and pulling a 23 foot travel trailer.

• Christina Cordaro

April 27, 2022 at 7:30 am

Thank you for your service and sharing your story, @vitamyr! It sounds like resilience and determination of your mind has helped you throughout your diagnosis path! You are truly someone to look up to in the FA Community!

• Katie Griffith

April 27, 2022 at 7:44 am

Inspirational, Pat! Thank you so much for sharing your story.