• Swimming with FA

Posted by Frankie Perazzola on October 31, 2019 at 8:50 am

I love the water! It makes me feel unstoppable and Safe. Since I can’t fall in the water, i love being in it. I have noticed that it’s a bit harder to breathe under water from 5 years ago but that doesn’t stop me from trying.

How do you do in water? What do you think about swimming? Is it something you enjoy?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Christina Cordaro

October 31, 2019 at 1:56 pm

I love to swim especially for the same reasons you have listed! But I have also found that lately, it is getting harder to breathe underwater. SO instead, I get a nice big raft and float lol.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    October 31, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Swimming is great! 10 years ago, I could swim 800m in 30 mins, a few years later 45 mins; then, an hour and now I struggle to do 500m at all.

But I love it. There is nothing better than a good swim.

• Lisa

December 9, 2019 at 2:51 pm

My son. 14 has FA and I want to encourage him to swim but he can’t get to/from the changing rooms safely. Last time he went he fell and bruised his coccyx. He is still refusing to use his wheelchair.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 9, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Lisa, I started using an electric scooter 13 years ago, sparingly at first, for just long distances. I am 34. Now, it’s like second nature. I keep my legs and hips and things in shape by swimming and doing little skyways and stuff. Maybe your son will one day realize the vanity of his pride or caring what others will think, or whatever else hinders him from caring from his well-being.

I have an idea for him: he could go to the pool in swim clothes and leave in wet swim. I use to do this, even in the cold of winter. My thinking is that it’s good discipline to force myself to tolerate what’s uncomfortable

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 12, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Auto correct changed squats for ‘sideways’ cause I misspelled.