Friedreich’s Ataxia News Forums Forums Assistive Device Usage Round Round Get Around, How Do You Get Around?

• Round Round Get Around, How Do You Get Around?

Posted by matt-lafleur on June 3, 2019 at 8:14 am

My sister and I disagree on this-

I use a manual wheelchair most times. Pros: I feel like I use my upper body a lot, so exercise. Cons: I am awfully slow and require someone to push me in most public places.

My sister uses a power wheelchair most times. Pros: She has much more independence in public places. Cons: The power-chair doesn’t allow any upper body mobility.

What do you think, manual or power or both? How do you get around? What are the pros and cons?

matt-lafleur replied 4 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • ant-pinkie-brown

June 3, 2019 at 1:00 pm

I alternate what I use. Keeps me strong (I hope). Any trips out is the electric all the way, but at home, exercising is virtually impossible with a powered chair. It’s strange, I feel people are happier if they see me electric, they don’t have to help me (not that I accept) and they can make tiresome jokes about my driving!

• matt-lafleur

June 3, 2019 at 1:16 pm

I feel you on that. Other people seem to be much more comfortable with the power chair.

Also, driver’s license jokes sucks.

• ant-pinkie-brown

June 3, 2019 at 1:53 pm

I mean days out really. I went into the city for coffee with friends in the manual, it took longer pushing around but exercise is good I guess!

• clifton

June 3, 2019 at 4:00 pm

I still get around on a walker. I am slow but I don’t care if I get in the way. LOL

• matt-lafleur

June 4, 2019 at 12:02 pm

I like you GET OUTTA MY WAY attitude. LOL.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 3, 2019 at 7:45 pm

I get around in manual wheelchair everywhere I go. For now I don’t really struggle too much to use w manual. I’ll get lazy to move my body if I get a power wheelchair. The pros for me by still using a manual wheelchair are: being able to shower independently, using the bathroom on my own, having great stamina despite FA andd the exercise obviously.

• matt-lafleur

June 4, 2019 at 11:52 am

In college, I used a power wheelchair and went to the bathroom independently. Why don’t you think you can do both?

• jonathan

June 4, 2019 at 11:50 am

I use a manual wheelchair in my home, or I crawl. Outside and in public, I use my baby. It’s a Pride Go-Go Elite Scooter. 4 wheels. Sporty-ish. No basket or armrests. Assembles and disassembles (by my wife) in less than a minute.

Link:

https://www.spinlife.com/Pride-Go-Go-Sport-4-Wheel-Travel-Scooter/spec.cfm?productID=98804&adv=googlepla&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=googlepla&default=1&utm_term=&utm_campaign=610138039&gclid=Cj0KCQjwitPnBRCQARIsAA5n84kfiVhNPKulOocbXdlPrcNRd5WWC_B5jgBpJzqjFvaDO-MPN5lcHdgaAv6PEALw_wcB

• matt-lafleur

June 3, 2019 at 1:04 pm

Outside as in when you leave the house or outside as in when you go in the backyard? No idea when to use a scooter here.