• Reason to Keep Going

Posted by matt-lafleur on June 17, 2019 at 8:32 am

We’ve all wondered about this at some point. Living with Friedreich’s ataxia seems many times to be a struggle. However, we choose to stay in the fight, despite whatever hardships or further disability may lie in the future.

To kick off this week, I want to pose the question: What is the sole purpose you choose to keep going? Other people may need to hear it coming from other people; I know I do sometimes.

Is it being there alongside a family member or friend? Is it because of love? Because you haven’t yet accomplished what you want to accomplish? What is your raison d’etre – your reason to be?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • jonathan

June 17, 2019 at 10:18 am

I chose my job in this life. My aim is simple and clear. The purpose involves goals that raise my son into a strong, well behaved man. And I live to support, empower, and satisfy my wife. By “live,” I mean setting concrete goals that are reasonable, reaching them, and setting new ones. I think whimsical dreams are fun but not practical. In fact, they rob me of my focus. I kinda hate them.

When I’m in pursuit of my aim (on the offense or on the right path), I feel psychologically rewarded. And that keeps me going — even when there’s more struggle. When I’m not on the path (because I’m making bad choices), the opposite occurs. Guilt. Mental anguish, like anxiety and depression. Those negative emotions and states of mind make me less effective at my job. They’re subconscious signals, really…a warning that I’m off the path. But that topic’s for a different time.

• matt-lafleur

June 17, 2019 at 11:51 am

You won’t like this but I gotta say…
      It seems like our thoughts are similar.
      Is it “compassion” if your job is centered on others benefit, or is their a sense of duty in your acceptance of your role?
      TL;DR- Are you admitting to be empathetic?

• jonathan

June 17, 2019 at 11:59 am

Haha, I can be empathetic. It’s not my strong suit though. Anyway, my job is about duty. It’s responsibility. And it’s a rewarding way to live.

• matt-lafleur

June 17, 2019 at 12:11 pm

I feel like this is a breakthrough in your self-discovery.

• clifton

June 17, 2019 at 10:19 am

My reasons was this crappy disease won’t be what kills me. I fully intend to push it till there is a accident. Or my snoring gets to loud and someone smothers me with a pillow. Now its just to beat all the predictions.

• matt-lafleur

June 17, 2019 at 11:55 am

I appreciate your strong will, AKA you hard-headedness. LOL- same here.
      Is this a normal part of your personality? Do you normally “rage against the machine?”

• clifton

June 17, 2019 at 2:12 pm

No i’m just hard headed. I push my self to limits less than I did or I am more careful about how I do it. Last time it cost me a broke tibia an fibia. But it healed dr’s said take it easy. Pee on that I got stuff to do. Being part of something a knowing all of yall helps alot.

• matt-lafleur

June 17, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Broken tibia AND fibia?Dude, how did you get through that? It must’ve been so hard with FA too.

• clifton

June 17, 2019 at 5:20 pm

Almost 5 months sitting in a chair. I give yall props on that i was going crazy. The day they said ok you can start trying to walk i put my lace up boots on got my butt up and went for mexican food. I couldn’t sit there any more, still use a walker but wow.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 17, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Great question. The reason I keep going is my mom. She is a tough woman and she has showed me if she can keep going so can I. Having FA hasn’t been easy at all but I have found hope in Christ. At 28 years of age I’m a Bible believing Christian and I have found hope, not just that but purpose for my life. There’s things I’m still learning and looking forward to seeing growth.

• matt-lafleur

June 19, 2019 at 2:32 pm

I am really happy to hear that your faith is so strong that it’s a reason to keep going! A lot of people view faith lightly. What do you think made your faith more than that?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        June 19, 2019 at 9:49 pm

I feel that when I’ve had my own thoughts and experiences with my faith.

• robert-rhodes

June 18, 2019 at 8:41 pm

I want to see where this journey is heading. My life has gained significant momentum at this point, and I want to see how certain things will play out.

Giving up or, at worst, committing suicide would not solve anything or bring closure any faster. Neither would it be inspirational to others – those affected by FA and those that aren’t.

• matt-lafleur

June 19, 2019 at 2:34 pm

I love your answer. The word that keeps coming to mind after reading your reply is “wonder.” Is that accurate?

• robert-rhodes

June 19, 2019 at 8:43 pm

Wonder is part of it. We are all bound by a medical condition that is rare. There are drawbacks, of course – but there are also unique advantages and experiences if we choose to see past the rough times. It is our strength and curiosity to see what lies around each corner that inspires others that don’t have FA.