• Misc. Boating/ fishing

Posted by Clester on January 28, 2019 at 9:54 pm

Found out a few years ago my wife liked to fish. Started out with a cane pole ( all she had to do was lift it). Decided to see about boating . she liked it but getting someone wheelchair bound in and out of a boat can be quite difficult. So I made a mount for my boat to attach a hoyer lift to . worked great.took things one step further and mounted a pole holder to her wheelchair that hinged up and down, then made her an electric fishing pole. Should have seen the look on her face when she pulled in a 42 inch long cat fish.
    Truly amazing the things someone can come up with just a little enginuity and effort with a need as inspiration.

Clester replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Matt Lafleur

January 28, 2019 at 9:58 pm

That is an awesome story! I’m not sure if you can post pictures in the forum but I would love to see your invention. If you have a link to photos, can you send us a link to them?

• Clester

January 29, 2019 at 3:10 pm

I’m not the most tech savy person . for some reason my phone is not letting me copy and paste anything . as soon as I figure it out ill put some pictures up. Or ill send pictures to my laptop and try it that way. Idk
    Most of the pictures are on her phone anyways ( her phone seems to take much better pictures).as soon as I can figure it out I guess. Lol

• Matt Lafleur

January 29, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Thank you my friend. I look forward to seeing them!

• Shandra

February 3, 2019 at 2:25 pm

That’s really cool!! Thank you for sharing 😀

• Clester

March 20, 2019 at 5:44 pm
  • Clester

March 23, 2019 at 11:18 am

Good. Thank you Frankie .
    The top picture of the fishing pole- the white box on the left is the switch which lays in her lap. Used to have a small tube like switch she held in her hand and pushed the button with her thumb ( until the Dr tried to kill her)
    The bottom left picture is the mount for the hoyer- its not in the picture but toward the bottom of the picture there is an arm that comes out with an adjustable wheel that goes up and down . the wheel goes down on the dock to keep the boat from moving( rocking ).
    Bottom right picture is the pole holder on her chair- the white tube is the part her pole goes in and it hinges up and down .

• Clester

April 5, 2019 at 6:04 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hk7uyKM-HPMtWZ1ZB8rZSRnGh8lrCtps/view?usp=drivesdk

Camping in daniel boone national forest . picture of our bathroom/ changing room.

• Clester

August 13, 2019 at 11:01 am
  • Clester

August 13, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Oh. The ramp is spring loaded and folds up with one hand and to test its strength I had four of us for a total weight of just over 600pounds and we lightly bounced on it. Her with her big chair is just under 400pounds. And just for peace of mind I have an adjustable sizzor jack for under the center of it as well and same Jacks as well for under all four corners of the trailer to make it stable for the movement of her chair and it don’t shake even a little bit lol.
    She likes the stars so there is a skylight right over the bed so she can look out at the stars.

• Clester

August 13, 2019 at 7:21 pm

In case anyone is wondering those pictures were taken a couple weeks ago in The middle of nowhere in the Manistee national forest in Michigan. No one in sight the entire time we were there. Trailer is solar and propane powered and now carries 40 gallons of water, complete with TV, fridge,stove(one inside and one for outside), oven,air conditioner(although even in the 90s we didn’t need, I insulated the crap out of it), and even a washing machine. The plant hanging on back is a citronella plant….to Keep bugs away. Hoyer lift mounted inside to get her to toilet and into bed. As big as her chair is she can turn around in the trailer if she is careful(cant buy a trailer that way or at least all I’ve looked at you can’t and I’ve looked at a whole lot of them.) those toy haulers is the closest thing to wheelchair accessible but all I’ve looked at the ramp is waaaay too steep. This trailer I made is real close to Ada compliant one inch per foot. It’s like 1.1inch per foot. She gets up and down it just fine and is plenty wide enough(almost a foot wider than Ada requires) door is nearly a foot wider than Ada requires as well. Built a whole lot of storage and have plans for more. For its size it has, about twice as much storage as most trailers twice its size. A little thought and ingenuity go a long way. Lol she loves clothes and she can fit almost all of what she has in it.
    She came up with the idea for me not to finish the walls and ceiling so we can get towels, blankets, or something from each place we go to finish them with. So for now it’s just insulation with heavy plastic on the walls and ceiling lol.