• Indoor Rock-Climbing

Posted by Matt Lafleur on February 18, 2019 at 5:22 pm

This definitely deserves its own topic…I want to go indoor rock-climbing so bad.

@shandrajamie, @kywaterman- I blame you!

What do you guys think? Is it a good activity for FAers? My legs probably won’t be much help in supporting me – does that make it too hard?

Frankie Perazzola replied 5 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Clifton

February 18, 2019 at 6:03 pm

I have a friend that wants me to go with him. I say go for it.

• Matt Lafleur

February 18, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Keep us updated and let me know how it goes for you and if it’s fun, Clifton!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 18, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Dude I’ve been want to go and try it but don’t because my legs won’t help me for crap. You should do it and tell me your experience!

• Matt Lafleur

February 18, 2019 at 8:51 pm

That’s the same thing I’m worried about! But I’m hard-headed, so I will do it anyway LOL.

• Shandra

February 19, 2019 at 11:31 am

I’ve been going every Tuesday now since the start of the semester (mid-January). I joined the climbing club at my school. No one in the club has a disability but they were super excited that I wanted to give it a go.

Before starting I had no idea if I was going to be able to do it. I still walk but my peripheral sensation is almost completely gone. I can’t feel my feet/lower legs really and I have no idea what they’re doing unless I look at them. After my spinal fusion I lost my upper body strength to the point where I can’t even do one chin-up. I went to the first meeting with limited expectations and surprised myself. After 3 attempts I had climbed about 3 feet off the ground. I was relying on my upper body to climb (my feet wouldn’t stay on the holds) and I definitely felt it afterwards lol. I was sore for a week and a half but my arms felt stronger. The next time I went, it felt easier. I could pull myself up easier and felt more comfortable taking risks (reaching for holds that seemed too far). I also learned to modify my stance. Normally you’re supposed to step on the holds with your tip toes. I started putting the middle of my foot on a hold so the whole inner side of my foot would be resting on the wall. They slipped off less that way, so I started putting my feet on as leverage while I’d host up my body. Each week I felt stronger and would make it higher up. On week 5, I made it to the very top!! It feels so awesome and my technique and abilities are definitely improving. Now I’m going to work on scaling this route faster and moving to harder routes.

Climbing is for everyone. I’ve seen videos of completely paralyzed people using entirely their arms! I’d recommend everyone tries it 🙂

• Frankie Perazzola

February 20, 2019 at 10:54 am

I love this!! So happy you found something you enjoy!!